Home
 
LaGrange, GA
LaGrange, GA - Government Buildings





LaGrange Courthouse, LaGrange, GA  (Troup County Courthouse)

Built in 1904, burned in Nov. 1936. Courthouse records were saved during the fire by local citizens who formed a "bucket brigade" and the records were passed to safety. This courthouse was the third Troup Co. Courthouse to be built on the square. The streets around the courthouse were paved with cobblestones in 1906.

 


Old Troup County Courthouse in 1899
This is a very rare postcard of the old Troup County Courthouse that was used until replaced in 1904.  It was the second courthouse on the square.  It is shown in the upper left hand corner of the postcard with two chimneys.

 


Troup's New Court House - 1906
Postmarked in 1906, two years after completion of the new courthouse.  It shows the Confederate monument and cannon at its' base.  This was a "mail card" that featured 12 other views of note under the center flap in LaGrange including: A&WP Railroad depot, First Baptist Church, First Methodist Church, First Presbyterian Church, Southern Female College, LaGrange Female College, LaGrange High School, Hotel Elmrose, home of George Dallis, home of Fuller Callaway, home of Dr. Ridley and the home of   W. A. Holmes.

 


LaGrange City Hall

Built in 1926, this building is still used as the HQ of the Cit y of LaGrange on Ridley Ave.  To the right was the W. G. Cleaveland Co, and to the left was the original LaGrange Fire Station.

 


LaGrange City Hall on the right, Main Fire Station on the left. - Ridley Ave.
Postcard courtesy of the Troup County Archives.



Troup County Courthouse and Jail
Built in 1939, the main courthouse in front is still used today as the Juvenile Courthouse.  The jail behind it was torn down in 2001 when the new courthouse was built with a special purpose local option sales tax. 

 


Old Troup County Jail
Built in the 1890's, this jail's bell tower was once used to hang convicts on capital charges.  It later was used by the LaGrange Daily News and is currently used as the LaGrange Art Museum.

 


Old Troup County Courthouse
Built in 1904, burned in Nov. 1936. Courthouse records were saved during the fire by local citizens who formed a "bucket brigade" and the records were passed to safety. This courthouse was the third Troup Co. Courthouse to be built on the square. The streets around the courthouse were paved with cobblestones in 1906.



Troup County Courthouse 1935
Built in 1904, burned in Nov. 1936. Courthouse records were saved during the fire by local citizens who formed a "bucket brigade" and the records were passed to safety. This courthouse was the third Troup Co. Courthouse to be built on the square.


Troup County Courthouse in 1929

 


Troup County "Poor Farm" house, built in 1890

 

 

Postcardman.org