Home
 
Augusta, GA
Augusta, GA - Government Buildings

 

 


New City Hall, Augusta, GA
Postmarked in 1908.

 


City Offices were established here in 1917.  Former Post Office.

 


Orphan Asylum, Augusta, GA
The Orphanage opened in 1873 and moved to another location in 1912.   The Medical College of Georgia moved in in 1913 and the building was torn down in 1960.

 


United States Arsenal, Augusta, GA
This building was occupied by the U.S. Arsenal since 1826.  At the time of the printing of this postcard, it was the only Federal arsenal in the Southeast U.S.

 


Augusta Arsenal, Augusta, GA
(U.S. Army Arsenal)



Richmond County Courthouse, Augusta, GA

 


Headquarters, Camp Gordon, GA
Postmarked in 1942.

 


Barracks at Camp Gordon, Augusta, GA

 


Augusta Water filtration plant, Augusta, GA



Augusta Canal and Dancing Pavilion

 


Augusta Canal Dam
The Augusta Canal, constructed in 1845, provides water to the city, power to factories, and transportation for canal craft. The canal rescued Augusta from a business depression in the 1840s and provided energy for war-related industries during the Civil War (1861-65).  Because of the canal and because of Augusta's rail connections, Colonel George W. Rains selected Augusta as the site of a massive Confederate Powder Works that supplied the Confederate army throughout the Civil War.   Other war-related industries also sprang up along the three levels of the waterway. Augustans considered their city "the heart of the Confederacy."   In the 1880s, it fueled an economic boom and then experienced neglect during the mid-1900s.  The canal later benefited from a groundswell of popular support in the 1990s.  Italian masons blocked up the stone aqueduct, damming Rae's Creek and creating a lake named Lake Olmstead. The city hired more than 200 Chinese immigrants for the labor, many of whom remained in Augusta to form one of the oldest Chinese communities in the eastern United States.   Huge new factories, chief of which were the Enterprise (1877), Sibley (1880), and John P. King Mill (1882), rose along the canal banks. "Mill villages" clustered around the mills as families flocked from the depressed countryside to take jobs in the factories.


Central Avenue Fire Station, Augusta, GA

 

 

 

Postcardman.org